Pages

August 29, 2008

Air Force Academy Wedding First Thoughts

June 12, 2008

Matthew and I have now been married for a week and a half and are now on our way to North Carolina where we will be living until we arrive at Maxwell Air Force base in Alabama.

I had imagined military weddings to be stuffy and boring with lots of military tradition that no one understood. Much like The Sound of Music, beautiful but boring. That is not how it is. Our wedding at the Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel was more beautiful than I could have dreamed and more fun than anything I have ever done

Matthew and I got married three days after his USAFA graduation. The week after graduation is the busiest time for the chapel. The Air Force Academy Chapel has about six weddings a day, one every two hours. It’s a weird feeling to be a bride going into the chapel for your wedding as the other is coming out. “Congratulations!” The bride leaving yells from the steps as she comes down as a married woman, her 2 Lt. by her side. “You too!” the other bride yells back. In no time at all, you will be the bride yelling down the stairs. What a weird feeling to see bride after bride meet each other on their way in and out of the chapel. Girls connected just for a moment on one of the most important days of their life.

Here is a quick list of practical suggestions if you are having a Academy wedding:

Book Early - The Academy Chapel is available to reserve a year in advance. In order to get the day you want book ASAP in order to get the date and time you want!

Decorations- You will save time, money, and a whole lot of stress by not putting decorations in the chapel for your wedding. The chapel comes with a "two will become one" banner, and beautiful white flowers in the front.

The Officers Club - If you are thinking about having your reception on the Academy grounds the Officers Club is a great option. You must be a member in order to get the Officers Club and the awesome discounts that come with it. It's worth it!

Wind - On a personal note: The wind at the Academy is always blowing. Be prepared for windy pictures if done outside and a brisk walk to the chapel. (My veil flew off right after this picture was taken. It all turned out beautiful anyway!)











5 comments:

Foster's Panida Site said...

A most cool blog. It will be so helpful to all the gals that are marrying into the Air Force!!!

Ganga and I already learned information we didn't know!

Laura said...

Hey, great blog. I will be 'married to the military' next year. I came across your blog whilst searching for info on Maxwell AFB as that is where we will be heading to.

K&M said...

Hi! I love your blog! I am planning to get married May 2010 after my sweetie's graduation as well. I want to book the chapel do you know what the rates are? Also, is it too small to have a wedding with only 25-30 people? My fiance and I are from jersey but are having our closest family members and friends at a mini reception. Thank you for your help! Hope you are enjoying married life! :)

Megan said...

I know this is an older blog, but it is helpful to me, thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Do they charge to be married there if you are Acitve Duty?